View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 05:59 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I saw an article about it in the local paper, but forgot the name when I went to search for it.

I agree that 2 miles is a pretty high limbo bar. Most people could ride further with ease and comfort. But I've noticed that 2 miles is a pretty common goal for discussions of carfree transport. I think that distance covers a majority of car trips in America, and it wouldn't scare people off who might not know how short a mile seems on a bike (compared to walking).

The campus lifestyle is very involved with material possessions. You'll see this if you're on campus during Welcome Week. Even when I was in college 20 years ago, it was amazing how much stuff the average undergrad stuffed into his or her room. Many of them have enough clothes that they don't have to do laundry at all in college. they just cram a semester's worth of dirty clothes in their car and tale them home to be laundered. The electronic equipment owned by some students is worth more than everything I own at age 57.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 06-22-12 at 06:05 PM.