View Single Post
Old 06-23-12, 12:39 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982
It's not always about proving yourself on downhills. I've had pretty good success in rolling hill sections pedaling hard downhill and carrying my momentum up while down shifting. Overall I use less energy than I would if I coasted down and climbed the next hill with less momentum. But if it's extended hill climbs and descends, then I agree there is no need to pedal downhill since momentum doesn't go very far on a long uphill.
On a ride of 35 miles that I did regularly this spring, over a course of short rolling hills, I found that this was the best strategy. My average speed was much better if I pedaled hard on the downhill, stood up on the uphill section to keep up the momentum, then dropped gears to try to spin the rest of the way to the top, never pushing so hard so as to get breathless. Not the case on long hills where I need to remember to rest and conserve energy on the down hill side or I will blow up on the uphill side. The momentum advantage is minimal with those kinds of hills. I am a light weight so I get no downhill advantage. Guys pass me while coasting, all the while I am pedaling furiously trying to not fall too far behind. I am now backing off on getting speed up on the downhills, as Beanz suggested, unless it is a course of short rolling hills.

Sometimes though instead for fun I will pedal hard on the downhill to get some pleasure from the speed and use the uphill to rest, if the hill isn't too long or too steep. I just sloooowwwwwly pedal my way up, drinking water, looking at the sights. That was the way I first did hills. Someone here mentioned using the uphills to rest and that is what I did.