View Single Post
Old 06-23-12, 01:19 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
I have a 2008 Madone 4.5 with the original Bontrager Race wheels on it. Approaching 8,000 miles on the bike. About how long can I expect the wheels to last? What are the signs that they're wearing? BTW, I weigh about 200 lbs. if that makes a difference.

Friend of mine rides much more than me. He goes through a set of wheels every year (10,000 miles).
I agree wit 20-30,000 miles depending upon rim material, brake pad material, weight, speed, etc. But fortunately it is not a guessing game. You inspect the braking surface for a significant depression indicating too much wear and the spoke holes for deformation or cracks. Any of the three defects means replace. But just the rim and spokes. Hubs should be reusable after overhaul. Cracks on hub spoke holes changes that. Then they would have to go too. if you reuse hubs, try to lace them back the same way as originally. You don't want mutiple scarring on the hub flange from different lacing patterns if you can help it.