Old 06-24-12, 05:23 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I think I agree with what you're saying there. The lanes on the road that I was on when I had the smallish semi pull up behind me, if I'd been riding in the manner that it appears that Bek supports, there wouldn't have been any room for me and the truck to pass each other safely.

The "measuring tape" that I've used is looking at the cars that are in the lane in front of me how much/little space is left over on either side of the car.
You are lost and tilting at windmills if you think what 'manner of riding bek supports' implies I'm suggesting you endanger yourself while riding.

I have mentioned that florida's substandard width lane clause explicitly includes, is predicated and inseparable from a riders' duty to be reasonable when deciding their road position.

riders in florida can ride away from the right when reasonably necessary to avoid unsafe conditions. if you were being reasonable about your choice of lane position you adhered to the spirit and the letter of the law governing your road position.

It is an overreach of cyclists rights to think that anytime 'a lane is too narrow to share' a rider can position themselves anywhere to the right of the lane line unwaveringly. That is a too broad interpretation of traffic laws, that ignores the clear dictate to be reasonable about when and how far to ride away from the edge.

this 'reasonabless' dictate is in black and white in florida traffic statutes, explicitly written into the statute, that encompasses and reiterates the 'reasonableness' standard we all operate under when choosing a position away from the right.

Cyclists in florida must ride as far right as practicable except when reasonably necessary....."When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, or substandard-width lane, that makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. "

This is, OF COURSE, situational, but a rider MUST be reasonable and have a reasonable need to ride away from a safe position to the right to more fully engage the lane.

Distilled to their most basic, the laws governing bicyclists lane position (both "bike FRAP" and "smv FRAP" laws), taken broadly, mean 'don't ride to the left of the lane' when travelling slower than other traffic unless you have a reasonable need to do so.

(Yesterday on my ride, i rode in the left tire track thru our downtown. However, there were reasonably compelling reasons for me to do so at that time and place.)

Last edited by Bekologist; 06-24-12 at 06:59 AM.