View Single Post
Old 06-25-12, 08:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6273 Post(s)
Liked 4,300 Times in 2,409 Posts
Originally Posted by epicycle
I live in suburban Chicago and I'm thinking of commuting to work, around 24 miles each way give or take. It's not going to be easy and traffic may suck but I'm up for the challenge and really want to cycle more so this seems ideal.

Anyhow, I was curious how many people use dedicated commuting bikes and how many just use their normal road bikes? Obviously a more comfortable positioning would be ideal but unless I convert my 10+ year old mountain bike all I have is my road bike which I'm not too keen on putting a rack on.

Thoughts? Pick up a mid priced commuter? Any Clyde safe commuter bike suggestions?

Thanks!
I commute on any one of 5 bikes and not one of them is a 'commuter' bike in the sense that it was designed for commuting. This one is my main commuter

And this one is my foul weather winter commuter

But I also commute on these as well

I use whatever I feel like riding on any given day. And, yes, the mountain bikes all have knobbies so that I can play in the dirt if I so choose. You really don't need a 'dedicated' commuter bike. Just a bike that you can use for commuting will do.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-25-12 at 08:26 AM.