View Single Post
Old 08-04-05, 10:33 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike at Work... Difficult question...

Alright...

I work for a security department and we have bikes/ do bike patrol. I once was a bike officer and rode my cdale when I had it. Eight months ago I stoped doing it and maintaining the bikes at work. This week my boss stuck me on ONE bike patrol shift (in 8 months) and since I did not have my MTB anymore I have to brave the crappy 500 POS's here. Well here is the condition I found the bike it...

No brakes, one pad missing one really bad, front was so loose it was barily touchig the rim. B destroyed, grinding noises at the 3 and 9 oclock posistions. Loose crankarms, slightly bent deraileur hanger, wheel slightly out of true, non working taillight, front wheel and handlebars slight off from each, one tire flat, one at about 10 PSI, other and the list goes on. I came in and last time they let me use a vehicle (fun ) . Well this time the captain jerk self told me I have no choice but ride the bike.

I told him I would not ride the bike because it was not safe. He said I had no choice. Since I drove the vehicle last time I said I did not have my "bike uniform" (we have 3 different uniforms) and I would have to go 20 minutes home and back to get it). After he called me a few choice words I was so pissed off I nearly walked out. I drove home and retrieved a BB that would work (out of my own pocket), a tube, tool set, etc. After driving all the way back the boss said I could not clock in until I got on the bike and rode it.

Turns out the BB did not work, and I cleaned out the BB shell, but the bad one back in, tightened down the crank, fixed the flat and was on my way. Well I am on my brake, the bike is riding like s%%T and I am not happy.

This is just one incident that has me thinking about quiting. They care only about not using 2 gallons of gas then MY safety. They also treat me like crap. The bike that I am trying to ride is a 22 inch that DOES NOT FIT, my legs are screaming because I can not full extention, etc.

The question is facing this situation what would you do?