miles.lowry
Raleigh Superbe

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Superbe, Roadmaster Mountain Sport Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dvt

OK, so this may be the wrong place for this but I believe that it is a safety issue. I am just now getting back on my bike after a month off (of course now it's over 100f). I had foot surgery back in April, and was told that I would be able to ride my bike before I would be able to walk for excersize, so I did. Now, what happened next was not a result of bike riding put it did prevent me from continuing. Beacuse I had to keep my foot elevated (I took it very seriously) when at rest I ultimatly developed blood clots, or Deep Vein Thrombosys (DVT). DVT is not a pleasent thing to deal with, my leg swelled up and felt like I had an Ace bandage very tightly wrapped around my leg. The worst part (even over the fact that I could have died) is that I had to self aminister (yeah right, thank goodness I'm married) shots to my stomach every 12 hours for 14 days. I am out of the danger zone now but I still have to take blood thiners and visit the doctor every week. The reason that I feel that this is apropriate for this forum is that DVT can happen to anyone no matter how young or healthy, if you take a long car ride (over 2 hours) or long flight to get to that next century ride then be sure to get up and wald around, or pump your feet at the ankles if the seatbelt sign is on. DVT is a very dangerous problem and has to potential to kill you or worse, leave you a vegtable.