View Single Post
Old 06-26-12, 01:03 PM
Jack FFR1846

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I just joined, finding this thread while randomly searching for recent info on my bike.

I bought my frame at the bike shop where I worked in '74 and they had purchased it from England. I used one bike for training and racing (mostly criteriums), so this frame was great for me. It has a more extended angle on the fork, compared to most crit bikes but a very tight triangle, making it great for sprinting. I transferred all the campy record stuff I had from a Raleigh International, bought a set of Campy brakes and upgraded the pedals to super records. Bottom bracket is campy, but with a TTT titanium axle (was a brand new product then). Back then, I built a set of really light wheels with Hi-E hubs and some too-light-for-my-weight rims and a really close ratio titanium cluster. The whole bike in racing trim and silk tires weighed 19 1/2 pounds. Not light by today's standards, but when it was finished in 1974, it was indeed state of the art. Being in the thows of the "drilled out water bottle" age, I went to some extremes, using plastic zip ties to hold my aluminum bottle cage and removing some of the stickers since, well, they weigh something. I still have the bike although a couple herniated disks keep me from riding the thing. I'll get some pictures up.