Old 06-28-12, 03:15 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
The whole thing is 1 hour but you can get the main ideas from the first 3 minutes.

The students challenge themselves to live with less and to thrive while doing it. Some of the criteria of the challenge are only wearing one pair of pants and four shirts, not using social media, and not to drive their cars for trips under 2 miles.

Just two miles? Seems real easy to me but then again I have yet to live in Michigan in the winter.... Is not driving for trips under 2 miles really on par with the near deprivation of living life with a single pair of pants? What are your thoughts?
It seems like the challenges are not so much physical but mental. And not challege in the idea of struggle, but rather to challenge assumptions built into our culture and demonstrate that they are assumptions, not necessary part of living. "Challenging the mindset" as Jaclyn says. Getting people to think about what they are doing, not just being sheeple and doing what they see others doing.

1) Limited living space
2) No eating out
3) No driving within 2 miles of home
4) One pair of pants, four shirts
5) No social media
6) Persue your passions

So none of these are particularly difficult, but they do challenge the accepted mindsets of Mc Mansions, fast food, automobile-centric living, fashion, allowing social media to define your day, and doing what society wants rather than determining what you believe is needed.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 06-28-12 at 03:20 AM.