View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 11:42 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
It is interesting that you are having the same experience with the tandem clamp from K-edge regarding the derailleurs being to far outboard for the ultegra cranks. I had one of the first tandem clamps from them as I worked with Joe on chain catchers for our Calfee. I previously had Calfee cranks and just replaced them with the new Ultegra cranks and this issue popped up. With my old cranks the clamp worked great because the opposite problem occurred as there was not enough travel outward so shifting to the big ring was not great with any load on it. I think the smaller Q factor has moved the chain lines inward a mm or so on the new Ultegra cranks. I am going back to my old dura ace frt derailleur and conventional clamped K-edge with these cranks. I have a small frame as do our friends and we were both able to use a normal K-edge without problems on the water bottle mount. It mounts above it and uses the long triple arm.
Right. This K-Edge adapter clamp positioning the FD further outboard by .5cm is a lot. It is not feasible to move the right crank out far enough to make a difference for the FD, and anyway that would be a detriment to the drivetrain-rider alignment.

Otherwise, I'm considering finding a new FD adapter clamp that positions the FD closer to the seat tube. Competitve Cyclist claims the new Di2 brackets will work with any Shimano derailleur, but those are way over priced at the moment. Maybe an ugly old silver Shimano clamp will be my next try, though not as light weight at least getting the mechanics to function properly is more important.

I'm going to contact K-Edge and see what they have to say about their clamp.

Last edited by twocicle; 10-19-12 at 02:57 PM.