Old 06-28-12, 01:57 PM
budopo

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Suntour Superbe Pro gruppo, Vredestein tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mechBgon
It's the ones with the "digital" adjusters that are supposed to eliminate that. From the exploded view, I see yours are the traditional axle setup instead.
Ah, ok. Along a similar line, the Dura-Ace wheels were just too expensive for me right now (especially since I have to do a whole conversation over from Suntour). Would it be possible to fit a Dura-Ace free hub body to these hubs (for the weight savings and quicker engagement) and the axle (for the oversize stiffness and to eliminate the preload from the quick release)? I know these are minor improvements (well, except for the weight), but I'm just curious if it's doable some time in the future. I would like not having to worry how much the quick release is affecting bearing load, though.

Dan, great video. It's been a while since I've adjusted wheel bearings, but I used to pack the hub with balls, like you did, but leave that side up and insert the axle down into the hub, then flip it over to put the balls in the other side. This reduced the chance of loosing the balls when you flip the wheel. Of course, I didn't have the Hozan clamp. I put the wheel on my truing stand and adjusted the cones that way. I didn't have one end free, like in your video, but it did hold the hub pretty securely, so I could wiggle the rim to feel if there's any play.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It sounds pretty much the same as what I was thinking. The biggest question was whether it was worth it to repack the bearings, but I was doubtful, since I figure Shimano would have good grease and bearings from the factory.