bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
It seems like the challenges are not so much physical but mental. And not challege in the idea of struggle, but rather to challenge assumptions built into our culture and demonstrate that they are assumptions, not necessary part of living. "Challenging the mindset" as Jaclyn says. Getting people to think about what they are doing, not just being sheeple and doing what they see others doing.

1) Limited living space
2) No eating out
3) No driving within 2 miles of home
4) One pair of pants, four shirts
5) No social media
6) Persue your passions

So none of these are particularly difficult, but they do challenge the accepted mindsets of Mc Mansions, fast food, automobile-centric living, fashion, allowing social media to define your day, and doing what society wants rather than determining what you believe is needed.
The film actually did inspire me to clean out my own closet, literally and figuratively, and I discovered, much to my sincere surprise, that the vast majority of clothes in my closet had not been used for years. (I guess I should look inside more often.) I couldn't quite make it to one pair of pants and four shirts, though, it's more like four pairs of pants, one suit and ten shirts, but it sure feels good to be able to see the back of the closet again.

The figurative parts of the closet cleaning are a little more difficult. For example, what do you do with long-time friends whose values have migrated in directions almost exactly opposite to yours? (It's actually occurred to me that if I were to meet some of these friends now, I wouldn't initiate a friendship with them at all.) What if you have a job you love, but it's part of a larger organization that does things that are very distasteful?

Anyway, thanks for posting this little film. That's one of the odd little benefits of this forum: you come across things you never would have been exposed to otherwise (and sometimes it's not even about bikes).

Last edited by bragi; 06-28-12 at 11:15 PM.