KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
My only advice when you pick a bike to start with, is to aim high. Around here, a lower end vintage Trek MTB might bring $125. Meanwhile, a top of the line might bring $175. For the $50 extra, you get a bike that originally retailed for close to $900, versus one that might have retailed for $299. So everything is better on that higher end MTB: better wheels, much better frame, much better components, much lighter weight, etc. And if you shop a lot, and are willing to take on a project, you can find those higher end models for $75 or less. The Univega I started this thread with cost me $40, and I bought it from a DKO flipper. Now it was missing its wheels, but used MTB wheels are cheap. The DKO guy just didn't want to mess around with it.

+1 I buy MTBs as donors all the time, for cranks, seat posts, and other assorted parts.
Big time +1...the better stuff sells for similar numbers to the mid-range and below.

I bought the above Litespeed ti frame for $100. Most of the parts came off of a stumpjumper that I paid $55 for. The only things I bought separately were the tektro levers, commands and bars. It is a budget build and it is an AMAZING all arounder. it is one of the most fun bikes I've owned.