View Single Post
Old 07-01-12, 09:53 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Taz1743
...crank arms are definitely done up

...no I haven't tried a bike shop. Will they charge a lot for a diagnosis of problems?
I don't know what the other person meant by "done up," so don't know if you do either. The pedals and crank arms need to be tight - follow FB's advice as far as making sure there are not problems with the meeting of parts.

Shops will generally give a free estimate, but there is no way to know the source of a clicking sound without eliminating the possibilities one by one - by working on the bike. So of course they would need to charge you. There is no way to know the amount ahead of time, but in most cases it would be a rather modest amount - $10 to $15 would be my guess, plus parts if needed.

Originally Posted by Taz1743
... (crank arme) came loose earlier this week so was tightened as a precaution.
If something comes loose it is tightened as a correction, not as a precaution. Does "came loose" mean it made noise, wobbled around, or came off? If either of the latter two occured and the arm is still/again clicking then you need to replace the crank arm.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 07-01-12 at 09:59 PM.