Old 07-02-12, 04:54 AM
4st7lbs

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silas XIV
Thanks for the response, I really like the Surly! How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking? Do you think it would hold my weight (300-310) with ease if I slapped on some 36 spoke wheels? I plan on losing weight fairly quickly, but I guess that's everyone's goal!
I recently bought a Surly Cross Check and weighted around 410lbs when I bought it and am now at 390. So far the frame has been sturdy as a rock but the stock wheels on it are trash if you weight over 250lbs. The only problems I've had with the Cross Check, other than the wheels, is that stock tires, seat, and bar tape are really awful. I'm running larger Bontrager slicks, a Brooks saddle (50% off from Nashbar) and Lizard Skins tape and it's a dream ride.

What you might consider doing is getting a 40 or 48 spoke rear wheel built on the cheap (see this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ld-on-a-Budget) that will work for you at 300+lbs and act as a touring wheel once you've taken off the additional weight. I did this recently and decided to splurge and had a rear wheel built with a Phil Wood 48h hub $420) and a Velocity Chukkar rim ($80) that should last me 20 years.

Now that I have that wheel I don't worry about breaking down when I really start hammering on hills and on the street.