View Single Post
Old 07-03-12, 05:26 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by irwin7638
Fourty years, eight cities of varying sizes, 2-5000 miles of traffic jamming per year, thousands and thousands of miles of loaded touring on county roads, and I have been hit once.
I was on a through street, she was at a stop sign, I had a white shirt on, blinking light on my right arm, was wearing an orange and yellow safety vest; she stopped, looked both ways, waited until I was right in front of her, looked me straight in the eye and accelerated. She drove 1/2 a block with me on the hood, dragging my bike beneath her car and told the officer she did not see me. I wasn't hurt, but there you go, idiots are out there.
There are all kinds of stats, but it seems intersections are where accidents usually occur, so avoid sidewalks (more intersections), be careful in residential areas (people go blind in their own territory) and follow the rules of the road. I think most people don't want to hit anybody else.

Marc
Good points Marc.

I ride a lot to work and notice that when I am going straight and there is, say a gas station to my right I see a lot of people look left, look right and then go. They look through you. Scary really.