View Single Post
Old 11-28-02, 11:37 AM
liquid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
making a bike bigger (pleasehelp)

well i got a bit of a project on my hands. i am sure some of the knowledgeable people here have the information to help me with this. i have a friend who is going out of the country for about a year and has lent me her bike trek 5200 54cm. now the problem is i am 6'5" so it is a little small for me, being in college right now i dont have the money to shell out for a decent road bike. so looking at the trek website the geometry section and converting cm to inches i have an idea of what i need to do. the top tube length is 54.6 cm while the bike i would the 62cm has a top tube of 59.2 cm. to fix this i would change the stem i currently have a 100mm and if i get a 140 mm that would give me an extra 4 cm bringing my top tube length to 58.6.. as far as the height the current seatpost seems fine if not i can always get a longer one. another thing i want to do is to raise the handle bars, i went to 2 bike shops they said i cant but they also wanted to sell me a bike. but i found this that says it can raise the stem 3 inches or 7.62 cm

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...html?SKU=12679

so guys tell me how does this sound to you. i am very new at bikes i have an old gt mountain bike i hardly ever used. also how hard would it be to put the riser and stem on, would i be able to do it myself? does anyone know a place where i can buy a cheap stem in size 140mmor 14cm? i am not looking to ride 100 miles a day just about 10 or 15, 3 to 4 times a week.

thanks
james