Old 07-04-12, 10:43 AM
Hadez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a allot of help...trying to be brief so if more info is needed please ask.

Want to buy a bike that I am going to use to ride to work for now and in a month or two when I am in better shape I would like to start riding basic trails. As I get better at it and in better shape I want to get on more challanging trails. I know nothing about bikes. My experience is limited to having a Haro BMX style bike 1988-91 where the only parts I changed were spare parts from other friend's bikes. I am a big guy 6'3" and currently weigh 350, ideally I should weigh 230ish to give you an idea of my personal frame.

I plan on sending around $500 now and if this is something I like in a year then I will make a much larger investment.

Questions...

1. Is the mountain bike road even a good option for me? It seems like it would be fun so I hope so.
2. Where can a completely n00b like me read more about the basic stuff on bikes? Going to a couple stores in the last week I have learned things like disc brakes and hardtail but I would like to know least the basics of what I am talking about and after some reading I would like to be able to start evaluating on my own, with some help, what parts are best for what my current biking needs are. Even reading the sticky MTB FAQ it seems it expects people to have a basic knowledge of MTBs I do not have yet.
3. Is there anything I should be concerned about riding a MTB on the street everyday? Should I use different tires for example?
4. My local store is suggesting I get a Giant in the $480 range. Is this a good brand?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer this complete n00b to the MTB world.
Robert