View Single Post
Old 07-05-12, 02:39 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At some point when you're considering tires again, take a look at the Pasela TG or T-Serve PT. I've put many miles on TGs. Reasonably light, supple, and puncture resistant. At 32mm and 75f/80r PSI, I find they provide a smooth ride with low rolling resistance (me=160lbs). They have gumwalls, though, that are somewhat vulnerable to damage. I've never abraded or otherwise cut a sidewall in 15k+ miles on them, but I've had a few rear tires with a slight bulge in the sidewall when the tires were at the end of their life. The T-Serv is close to the same tire but has black sidewalls that are reportedly more resistant to abrasion and UV damage. At 200+ lbs, I'd opt for 35mm.

Rivendell markets their Jack Brown tire which is made by Panaracer, too. Comes in a "green" version and a "blue" version,...and very much equates to the regular Pasela and Pasela TG, respectively. TG = "tourguard" = kevlar belting under tread. Comes in a bit silly "33.3333mm" size designation, but your final width will vary with rim width. Tread is checkered which some really like, vs the Paselas which have a shallow tread.

Any of the above are considerably less money than the Grand Bois Cypres. I've considered the Cypres, but the prospect of less puncture resistance and less life combined with higher price than a tire with similar performance hasn't moved me yet.

As for your new tires, watch your pressure. I like to inflate until a get near that optimal sidewall deflection (~15%?) when the tire is loaded down. For me, that always comes well under the PSI ratings listed. Besides less rolling resistance and increased comfort, another benefit I enjoy from not over-inflating my tires anymore is longer tire life. With a slightly wider and larger tire footprint on the road, more of the tread is sharing in the burden, and I don't wear the center down to the casing as quickly.