Old 07-06-12, 08:11 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Is the pocket lid and inner flap trim leather or maybe fabric? If leather, it looks in pretty good condition compared to the leather trim on the lids of my 2 older bags. And none of my bags has any kind of trimming on their inner flaps.
The piping that trims the pockets and inner flaps is fabric, and in pretty darned good condition considering the apparent age of the bag. I would have imagined the piping to take a fair amount of abuse over the years, so Carradice must have used a superior material.

Also, what is that thing which looks like a rivet on the inner flap?
It's an open faced rivet that allows you to tie the right and left flaps down for additional stability. I have a similar sort of arrangement on my Swift Ozette Rando Bag.

The flap inner lining on yours looks like it might be green. Is it! My oldest bag has white while all the others have blue.
Yeah! It is a lovely vintage-ish lime green lining, and one of my favorite things about the bag!

I will likely give the bag a wax treatment - maybe next week since this thread has made it sort of top-of-mind for me. I'll have to look to see where that wax is available. I've seen several recipes for mixing bees wax, paraffin, etc., but it would be prudent (in my mind) to go with a formula recommended by Carradice. DM, if you've treated a large bag previously, how much wax did you wind up using for the process?