Old 07-07-12, 02:22 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hagen2456
More attempts to escape the evident truth. This man doesn't understand basic problems of sight lines etc. I give him up. He's hopeless.

Edit (for the sake of those who might believe this former guru's words): Here's a quote from one of my posts in the discussions I had with the bewildered gentleman:

"I simply go by what generally will cause accidents, and how one can minimize the risk of being hit by cars. Those conditions are basically universal"
The evidence from America, rather similar to that recorded with less detail in other locations, is that about 95% of car-bike collisions are caused by turning or crossing movements by either or both parties. Nothing that Hagen has written indicates that he is aware of, and writes with consideration of, this rather well-established fact.

Hagen claims that I do not understand basic problems of sight lines. I learned about sight lines and sight distances, and some formulas for determining sight distance, when working on the first bikeway design standards in California about 1974, the standards which became the AASHTO Guide for Bicycle Facilities. I published instructions about how to handle some sight distance problems as early as the first editions of my books Effective Cycling and Bicycle Transportation in 1976 and 1977.

I have concluded that Hagen, being so bound up in his Northern European experience, and with his poor command of English, ends up writing statements that simply mislead us Americans. It's happened time after time, while Hagen responds with, first, verbal arguments that do not clarify matters and, now, with factually inaccurate, easily disproved, claims of my supposed ignorance.