View Single Post
Old 07-07-12, 03:15 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Blood box, so much of what you say is accurate but it really is a matter of perspective. As you point out it's much better now than it was ten years ago and waaaaaay better than it was 20 years ago when I first started riding here regularly.

The infrastructural changes have had an amazing impact. 20 years ago my chain and lock was literally for defending myself as much while riding the bike as when locking it. And commuters and everyday riders were few and far between. No West Side Path, no bike lanes, nothing at all on the East Side- As a cyclist I really felt totally alone and like I was crazy for riding. My non-riding friends all were convinced I was nuts and were constantly telling me to be careful and about someone they knew that had been seriously injured or killed riding in the city.

All the negative vibe about riding a bike in the city really made it a struggle sometimes to feel motivated to use the bike. Now when I'm here I can't believe it. Tons of friends ride every where in the city- and ride every day. I no longer get the hairy eyeball for riding the bike. There are still plenty of tough things and things to watch out for while riding here but it's so much better and getting better every year. The bike share program should make a big difference when it is instituted.

But it's strange that now one of the biggest complaints I have is about other riders in the city- I think back to 20 years ago and now say, " Be careful what you wish for!"