just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bloodbox
2. Carry at least 2 spare tubes.
+1! After being plagued by flats myself, I now carry 3 tubes, patch kit, 4 Co2 cartridges and an emergency pump.

Related to this, I guess no NYC biker will stop when you're stranded and ask you if you need help. In LA, at least on hilly roads outside the main grids, if I was on the side of the road pumping up a tire, occasionally people would stop and ask if I needed a lift or a tube. Not in NYC. Maybe you have to flag them down and beg.
Dang. Big city attitudes suck.

3. This isn't a solid rule, and practically no NYC bikers follow it, but recently I've been trying to stop at more red lights. It's part of my (probably grossly mistaken) belief that if drivers see you respect the rules, they'll respect you more. Sounds naive now that I wrote it!
In the long haul, yes. But for now, expect to get honked at or almost run over by impatient drivers who would rather see you run the light so traffic isn't slowed.

4. Avoid riding to the right of cars and trucks in tight intersections....
+1, this is extremely important anywhere you go. Too many cyclists die that way.

1. Avoid the Brooklyn Bridge and use the Manhattan Bridge.
5. The Hudson River bike-way east side, running from the Lower East side to around 34th St. has no markings for bikes vs. peds....
6. You can't change the behavior of all the delivery guys in Man. and Brooklyn who ride the wrong way...
7. You've got to chain and lock everything down....
8. Avoid riding in Prospect Park after 3:30 pm and afternoons on weekends and holidays....
...But I still don't find the whole thing very enjoyable.
In other words, don't move to NYC. Or any other meglacity for that matter.