Old 07-08-12, 01:06 PM
kraemouse

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Superbe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
As long as the bike is in the shop, you might consider having the cog changed to ease the gearing. Many folks put a 22T cog back there. You'll probably need a new chain, too, but any single speed chain should work.
Yeah I've read a lot of people like to do this.. now the idea is that with the current cog, 2nd is the "true gear- with one tire rotation to one gear rotation?" .. sorry I can't eloquently explain this, don't know the lingo.. but then the 3rd gear has more "resistance," with more than one tire rotation for a turn of the cog? Yes? .. and the idea of adding a 22T cog is to bring 3rd to the "true" speed 1:1, so that 2nd and 1st are high gears and therefore can bring you up hill more easily... and for downhill, you'd just coast in third (which now feels like 2nd with a 22T cog), as apposed to having a low gear at all...

Is that what this does?

Because I personally like riding with resistance.. I'm torn here. I live at the top of a BIG hill.. but riding in high gear is not comfortable for me on flats.. I like really having to work my legs on the flat... goes back to my 18 speed mountain bike I had when I was a kid, I suppose.. I always had that thing in super low gear.. haha.

Anyway.. thats my own personal trouble to deal with..
But from you guys I need to know.. this 22T cog will do what I've described above, yes? Makes 1&2 high and 3 true?

Originally Posted by Grand Bois

A Raleigh Superbe is a highly desirable vintage classic, not just another used bike. The value goes up with age.

Last edited by kraemouse; 07-08-12 at 01:10 PM.