Old 07-08-12, 07:28 PM
cocar

Bikes: Treck lexa SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideal (cycling) weight conundrum

Hello all, maybe you can help me. I kind of have the reverse problem from most people. I'm thin. I mean, actually too thin. At 5'4 and 100 lbs, I'm clinically underweight with a BMI of 17.2. I've always been on the small side, but I've been this extremely thin since having open heart surgery in 2007 (mitral valve replacement). I have been tested 6 ways from Sunday by the MDs, I am fine, they can't come up with any reason for the weight loss. I'm not on any kind of diet. I EAT. I've been actively trying to gain weight for the last couple of years with no success.

At any rate, I'm getting a bunch of conflicting information, both from the medical communtiy and the cycling community. I have one MD telling me it's imperative that I gain weight, even though all my tests are normal, and one telling me he thinks I'm fine, as long as I have enough fat to support my menstral cycle ( I do ). I'm also trying to figure out what my ideal weight would be for cycling. Some are saying just stay as thin as possible. According to a couple of published calculators, anything from 108 to 123 lbs is what I'm getting. Yes, I do lift weights, but always have, and being female, I don't see myself putting on a huge amout of muscle beyond what I already have (I'm a retired gymnast, so have some baseline muscle already).

So, thoughts? I am already eating a regular protein heavy diet, plus protein shakes. This is assuming I can actually gain weight, at which I've so far been totally unsuccesful. But I'm open to all ideas...except eating a ton of really junky food (upsets my stomach)