Old 07-09-12, 10:59 AM
SW7783

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGriesman
Im wanting to get back into mountain biking. But I dont know what kind of bike to get or anything for that matter about bikes. I grew up riding them, but they were just what ever my parents got me while growing up. I started riding dirt bikes and really got into the speed and jumping. When i left for college I got the "Sorry son, no cars till your sophmore year... but i got you this." I had just recieved a Giant Boulder SE (2004) Im sure the sales man cursed the day he sold my dad an extra shop repair warantee, cause i used it. The bike was awesome, i took it on all kinds of trails. Only problem was I dont think Giant built this bike for the type of abuse i was putting it through. I Kept stripping the crank arms from hard landings and that was me at 150lbs, now im in the Military and in the low 200lbs.
That bike was stolen in 2006 and i havent had one since. I really wanna get back into riding but i have no clue what im looking for. Im still gonna be jumping off every mound or root bed i can find and flying around trails. Im not thinking full suspension cause A. crazy expensive and my wife would kill me and B. I like the feel of a hard tail bike. Someone had suggested that i look into the 29ers but i dont even know what that means. So thats why i came here to ask Yall and not a bike store looking for a sell. what sort of platforms should i be looking for? Should i look at entry level and use the money saved for upgrading the bike? even then I know squat about parts and brands. ANY help would be greatly appriciated
Welcome to the forum! My recommendations would be to test ride a few different bikes. The entry level bikes will be heavier and the components (shifters, cranks, etc.) will wear out sooner. I noticed a lot of bikes in in the same series have the same frame with different hardware. So I think you should find frame you like, feels good to ride, and look at price point after. I don't have trail experience yet so I can't recommend a "bomb-proof" bike for taking the abuse you mention but maybe all lbs bikes are decent, I don't know. But for the most part at a certain cost you'll see that different brands have about the same componentry level of quality.