View Single Post
Old 07-09-12, 11:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
It is frightening how dependent the younger generation has become upon various information technologies. Rather then increase the possibilities available to us - it seems electronic media have created even more straight jackets.
I'm certainly not a member of the younger generation. Information technology doesn't create more straight jackets but opens up far more possibilities. I wish I would have had the stupid smart phone when I toured the Natchez Trace. It could have made a rather boring ride...I'm a plains boy and I tire quickly of trees...into a far better adventure by providing me with information about the area surrounding the Trace.

When using paper maps, I seldom stray off the route that I've mapped out because I have little information about the areas off my route. Most of us are constrained when we vacation and have to make the best of the time we have available. If you don't know what is off your route, you are less likely to deviate from it. With a whole world of information at my finger tips, I can go off route to find far more interesting places and explore the world more which is the reason that I travel by bike in the first place.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!