Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Is there a list of unsafe roads? Like a large database of highways that aren't bike-friendly, specifically for the northeast? Does anyone know which highways in MA, VT, NH, and ME are unsuitable?
I use the ... try it then ... stick with it if I like it; and if I don't like it, try something else ... method.

And paper road and tourist maps can be useful.

I've used that method in Canada, Australia, parts of Europe, and now most recently Taiwan and Japan.

I'm not big into planning. I think Rowan and I did the most planning I've ever done for a trip for our 8 month trip. We booked flights, and we booked a hotel in Hong Kong, a hotel in Taiwan, and a YHA in London. That's it. The rest we're winging.

Here in Japan, we flew in quite late with no hotel booked and when we arrived we managed to get a room in the hotel attached to the airport. Last room available. Otherwise we were going to sleep in the airport. In the morning, we booked the hotel for tonight, our last night here. Then we set off with only a vague idea that there was a cycling path of some sort, somewhere near the airport.

I get a bit nervous if I haven't found accommodation by about 6 pm, but better that than booking everything along the way.

And I'd be a whole lot more tense if I planned every little detail of the trip.

We're flying to London tomorrow, and then we've got 3 months in Europe. Aside from the 2 nights at a YHA in London when we arrive, and the fact that we're flying out of Paris about 3 months later, we have no plans at all. And that's the way I like it. We'll go wherever we want to go ... wherever the wind blows us.

Last edited by Machka; 07-10-12 at 04:04 AM.