View Single Post
Old 07-10-12, 07:05 AM
EmSV650

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Schwinn SlikChick 1966, Cannondale hybrid I just bought - it's in the shop being refurbished

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
almost toppling over

hey all.... I'm having a hard time on hills. Funny thing is I live in a relatively flat state (FL) however, my favorite ride takes me downhill a couple of miles to the river and then I wander around on those nice shady streets. But climbing my way back out is just killin' me. A real eye-opener as far as being out of shape. I have one 90 second climb, I call "the *****" and after that I just never recover. Last night I almost fell off the bike when I got home. My fault partly - I didn't hydrate carefully. Got a bit of heat stroke I think.
Anyway, I adore my bike (Giant Sedona ST) even the seat. And for just tooling around the bar position is GREAT. (high and close) However, when I have to do these climbs I really wish I had a much lower bar, so I could do the stand up and pull thing.
Some little boys (lol) were riding up the ***** at the same time on their BMX bikes, and they all stood up to ride up the hill. In my forced sit-down position, by the time I get to the top, I'm going so slow I almost topple over.
And it's not even that tall of a hill. sigh.....

So I'm wondering if I even need to address the seat/bar relationship issue at all, or just shut up and keep "doing it". Like if I suffer through these little hilly sections now, will I eventually be able to go up uphill positions more easily?

Anyway, I'm just moaning and groaning - nothing really to say. I may just do a weight bench work out today - my legs are just killing me.

I'm using this iPhone GPS Tracker app and when I ride this hilly area, I'm only averaging 7-8 mph. Am tending to go between 5 and 6 miles (which I know is pitifully little) in about 40-45 mins. But you know on some of these hilly parts I could get off and WALK the bike up more easily and faster than I'm peddling.

Having a great time with this, but I really messed myself up yesterday.

Hope you're all having a good one.
thx for listening,
Em

PS: sorry about using the bleeped-out "B" female dog word.