View Single Post
Old 07-10-12, 10:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6284 Post(s)
Liked 4,323 Times in 2,422 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the very rural West.
Yes, Breckenridge may have a wide choice of coffee bars and Asian cuisine -
But in some places the bar is cafe, store, and post office all rolled into one.
Anyone who has ridden the Western Express in Nevada -
Or the Northern Tier across eastern Montana can tell you -
It's either the bar - or nothing.
Dude, did you notice my location? I'm not a transplant. I'm not even the first generation of my family born in rural Colorado. My mother was born in eastern Colorado on the plains in a rough farm house. I grew up in Colorado...in eastern Colorado. I'll compare time spent in the 'very rural West' anytime you like.

The bar in my home town was a place that only a few people frequented...and they weren't the kind that my mother would approve of. Nor would most of the other townsfolk. The bar in town, as well as every bar in the Arkansas River Valley from Leadville to the Colorado line, were seedy and dark and only the worst elements of town went there.

As for coffee and Asian cuisine, I find more of those kinds of places in the small towns I've been in around 'the very rural West' than I do bars. And you'll likely find more people in those places than in the bars.

As for the subtle dig that I'm some kind of city slicker tenderfoot, yes, I live in a metropolitan area. I much prefer the 'wide choice of coffee bars and Asian cuisine' in areas like Denver and Breckenridge to the narrow minded people of small towns. I've lived long enough in 'the very rural West' to have a pretty strong hatred of small town life out there. You couldn't pay me enough to live in a town of 1200 people again. Hell, I wouldn't live in a town smaller than 50,000. Too many people with their noses stuck in your business because they haven't got anything else to do.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-10-12 at 10:28 PM.