View Single Post
Old 07-11-12, 07:16 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
ISO:
A family bike outing was cancelled yesterday when I discovered that a piece of the brake on my wife's bike had apparently broken and fallen off. Thus, I am ISO a plastic cover for Shimano Altus cantilever brake spring coil. I realize this is a long-shot, but I thought I'd see if anyone has one of these floating around before I replace the cantilever calipers. For reference, here's a photo (model is BR-CT90-M):

HAVE:
A fair amount of this & that.
That was one of the first things I worked on when I got into C&V bikes almost exactly three years ago. We somehow acquired two Specialized Hardrocks in short order; both had those brakes and that issue. Apparently it was a well known failure and for some years Shimano would send out replacements for that part, free, to anyone who complained. However that version of the brakes dates to the 90s so the replacement program has long ended. They are very common brakes though so a rummage through the co-op parts bins (if you have one) might well yield the right part; it did for me. I'll look to see if I still have one but I doubt it...I fixed up and sold or gave away 3 or 4 other Hardrocks.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-11-12 at 09:58 PM.