Old 07-12-12, 02:30 PM
LandKurt

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3 and Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are definitely cheating.

If you're not making your way to work barefoot and naked while evading predators, you're cheating. Modern human life is all about cheating nature. Having a roof over your head and plenty of food in your belly is cheating nature. However, if you cheat nature too much with a completely sedentary life style nature has a way of striking back at you; obesity, heart disease, etc..

So you need to strike a balance in your cheating or nature will catch you and flunk you.

I've only got a 6.3 mile commute to work, so I'm trying to improve my health by biking to work. I've failed to stick with it much in past years so this year I put together an e-bike to make it a bit easier in the hope that I'll do more.

So far I haven't fallen in the trap of letting the e-bike do all the work. And since I've put together a 1000W system it could easily do all the work. I don't have a pedal sensor like the Bionx, just a throttle. I now only use the throttle on an annoying hill or two and pedal under my own power the rest of the time. So I've been using less electric power as my strength improves. According to my CA in the last 31.9 miles I've only used 134 Wh, an average 4.2 Wh/mi, down from 15 to 20 Wh/mi initially.

I kind of wonder why I bother with the electric bike now, except for that last hill right before arriving at work. It's nice to arrive and not be completely winded. And once the heat advisory weather returns I'll likely be leaning on the electric more. Plus, gadgets are fun and my e-bike is quite the gadget.