View Single Post
Old 07-13-12, 03:44 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by jclaine
This is my make shift rig for this year. I'm really hoping to have a dedicated less flashy bike for touring next year, I always worry when I lock this bike up anywhere. I have been on many many long non loaded rides with that seat/drop ratio so it didn't take much of a adjustment when I threw the gear on, a bonus is shes still fast Heel strike is surprisingly a non issue even with 175mm cranks and a size 12 1/2 shoe (<----Clydesdale ). I am absolutely in LOVE these Ortliebs, they stick to the rack like glue so even at 25-30mph she is still very nimble, I imaging that the narrow top of my rack helps by centering the weight.
re Ortliebs, there are many good pannier systems out there, but I just bought my second set of them. The first set lasted at least 18 years and they always stayed on perfectly. While they may be more expensive than others, for me the excellent top locking mechanisms, and the newer type of lower attachment (compared to my old pair that had a hook on a long flexible rubber strap) mean that I never ever have to worry about them moving around or falling off. If you are someone who plans to ride a bike for years to come, for me the higher price is completely offset by the build quality over time, not to mention the obvious advantage of them being waterproof....

Nice that with two bags on the back, that it handles well. Thats always nice.