View Single Post
Old 07-13-12, 04:32 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
We're using a combination of both computer and personal interaction. Basically we have found on our travels this time around that people involved in the tourism industry (or just representing their location) will go out of their way to assist.

We got off the train this afternoon, and asked a guy who looked like a railways person how we could get to the information centre. The directions were precise, took account of our bikes, and were given in a friendly manner. We've already asked the hostel staff about a local supermarket and electronics place for a broadband dongle.

And there are some things using IT just won't let you do. Last night I could find information on departure times and costs for travel on our train from London to Edinburgh, and even the policy on taking bikes. But I couldn't book a ticket at the super-saver price that included the bikes... I had to do that at Kings Cross station. The face-to-face booking process here was everything I as a customer wanted -- responsive, helpful about getting our bikes on board, and cheerful -- all with the train due to depart in less than 10 minutes! The tickets costs slightly more than if I had booked on-line, but I was happy with the outcome.
Wish I'd known you guys were in London before you left. Shout if you're passing through again any time soon...