View Single Post
Old 07-15-12, 01:56 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
There is a ride I did yesterday, 86 miles with over 8600 feet of climbing. I felt tired and had to use lower gears.
Lucky for me others had issues, too, so I wasn't last all day.
Well, for one thing big john it was toasty! My Garmin hit 116 Deg.F and even if that was inflated a bit, still well over 100 below Newcomb's.

Plus, you did lots better than me! I started w/V.Bob, Linda, Lou Ann, Andrew. Stefan and Brian at 7:00AM from Encanto and I was suffering before Clear Creek, slight recovery by Red Box but horrible, painful suffering (in my lowest gear 34 x 32) up to Newcomb's.

Fortunately a friend of mine (Kim) called it quits at Newcombs too, so I SAGGED in as Mike and Kim kindly gave me a ride back to Encanto.

That said, I should not have been on the ride at all; just got back from vacation in England and Wales so 2 weeks off the bike did me in. I'd ridden the Grand Tour double the week before I left so I thought I'd be okay. I was NOT okay. Big time suffering. Even though I've done this ride several times before (like BWNC has done his prev.) with no problem.

I learned a valuable lesson, so it was educational for me!

Rick / OCRR