View Single Post
Old 07-16-12, 04:23 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are again working on trailers. Same system as The Bike Friday trailer but we use a waterproof plywood platform when we are not touring. I hope I found the right link to somebody elses picture on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/touring...ol-378187@N22/

What I wanted to tell you is that we finally got around to bending tubes the DIY super easy and cheap way. I decided many years ago to try this one day and now we did.

There are several tutorialson youtube and instructables. What we did was buying 2m long tubes, 22mm. We filled them with fine sand (sand for sandblasting) to stop them from collapsing when we bent them. The ends was plugged with bar end plugs from old road bikes. Perfect fit.

We needed a jig or something to bend it around. We found some pieces from an old wooden longue chairs and decided the shape was right. Bolted them to a solid rough garden table/bench structure, no drilling needed. Small piece of wood to keep the tube in place . One person holding it down using bodyweight, one bending.

What we made was the curved towbar, or trailer arm if you want. We had a model I bought some time back but we wanted severalsince we need several trailers. No pix now since we are going on holyday and the pix is on boyfriends cellphone.

Last edited by badmother; 07-16-12 at 04:29 PM.