View Single Post
Old 07-16-12, 11:53 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Keep in mind that Joe Friel is definately oriented toward endurance racing. And, in this case, that advice was borrowed from Alan Couzens and is specific to athlete's participating in "Ironman" length triathlons where Friel's theories on athletic "economy" really start to become a concern. For athletes expending the sort of energy it takes to complete an Ironman, "where" and "how" you expend that energy becomes increasing important.
I was thinking about this while out on a ride today and realized that his advice is triathlon specific so it doesn't necessarily translate directly to other forms of racing/riding. Triathlon (road) courses rarely have climbs on any real consequence.
It's kind of funny that he bills himself as an "endurance" racing coach when in reality he's a triathlon coach. I don't really consider that endurance but I guess it's relative. He does know his stuff though and always has pretty good advice even if it is triathlon specific.