Old 07-17-12, 07:45 AM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyp
Folks, I got fat over the last few years due to various factors. I became over weight, out of shape, and very weak.

I started cycling again and made a lot of gains with endurance and speed. I also weight train because I enjoy it and I feel it makes cycling more enjoyable (lots of core work). I have made some good gains with the strength training as well.

I am struggling with the weight loss piece of the puzzle. Over 4 months, i only lost about 6 pounds. I am 242 now but really should be 200!

I lift weight 2-3x a week intensely for 1-1.5 hrs. I cycle once a week for 40 miles. And i swim once a week for and 1hr.

All of this activity makes me insanely hungry at times and i have trouble controlling my food intake. To lose weight, i try to eat at a 1000 calorie deficit a day...but this usually makes me feel ill, especially after hard lifting days. I then end up food binging

Should i just allow myself to eatmore to keep up the exercise, or maybe i should cut the intensity of the exercise to better control the eating...or should i just htfu and starve and be cranky all the time?

Try to do some more aerobic/cardiovascular exercise during the week. I know its hard, but it should (hopefully) make your loss more pronounced. I second what people have said about figuring out what keeps you fuller, longer. Calories are important to be aware of, but simply reducing caloric intake without evaluating the nutritional value of your food is a waste of time. Get the most value out of each thing you eat! I journal to keep my eating in check--with a history of eating disorders, I need a record and some sort of accountability not to slip back into old habits (obesity and overeating is now technically defined as an eating disorder, on par with anorexia and bulimia).

Also, sometimes the most significant leaps forward in your health won't be noticeable on a scale, but rather in your pant size, your endurance, and your doctor's visits. Your body fat percentage should be dropping, along with your blood pressure and other important measures. Losing inches can often be more rewarding than losing pounds.

My mother is celebrating her second year of weight loss: she lost 130lbs and has kept going through exercise and diet. It has changed her life. We exercise together now, and it is amazing. Her actual pound loss has slowed, but her pant size keeps dropping and she can walk more miles each week.

I hope you find the support you are looking for here, any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.