Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
#1, where did I say that flat bars are "dangerous"?
About 5 or 6 paragraphs claiming that flat bars cause "ulnar nerve injury", post #11 in this thread
#2, how did you mis-interpret my remarks to Kabbie as somehow picking on her (otherwise why the admonishment to "leave her alone"?).
Never said that you were "picking on her". Sometimes when a new bicyclist is excited, others feel the obligation to explain hidden dangers that may or may not exist. Others in this thread gave objective advice; you told her she was in danger of "ulnar nerve injury" if she didn't switch to drop bars. Leave her alone.
I thought I offered her some valuable advice to look into bullhorns, as changing hand position is a well-recognized technique for alleviating hand discomfort on longer rides.
No, you told her "You've discovered one of the reasons why most people graduate to drop bars". That's your quote.
Did I tell her to sell her flat bar bike and buy a drop bar bike? Did I tell her she'll never be a strong rider unless she buys a drop bar bike and gets clipless pedals?
Nope, nope and nope. I don't remember bringing up clipless pedals at all - wait a second, let me go back and read my posts. No, no mention of clipless pedals.
Maybe you can point out how I was picking on her??
I never said you were "picking on her". Do you have the quote?

I expressed an opinion based on personal observation of thousands of riders at various group rides and charity events, and hundreds of conversations with other riders both in person and online. I have better things to do than comb the web in search of empirical findings on why riders switch from flat bar bikes to drop bar bikes, and I highly doubt that any researcher has cared enough to fund such a study.
Then you should not have characterized your statement "You've discovered one of the reasons why most people graduate to drop bars after awhile" as fact. If you can't verify a statement like that, then don't use it. Maybe you should have said "You've discovered the reason why I graduated to drop bars", or "my friends and I", or even "many people".

My sense is that the word "graduate" pricked your sensibilities.
Not really. I thought that was a good choice of words. I disagree, but it was a good choice of words.
Perhaps a poor choice of words implying moving to a higher level of cycling---that isn't how it was intended.
Hahaha - then what does "graduate" mean?
But my opinion still stands that many riders . . .
Many? I'll agree with that . . .
. . . switch from flats to drops because they find the multiple hand positions offered by drops to be an advantage on rides over one hour in length.
Agree
Even pros will ride for a few minutes holding the flat section of the bars, next to the stem, just to change their grip for a spell. You can disagree with that,
I don't
but please don't be disagreeable in so doing.
How can one disagree without being disagree - able? lol. Most bicyclists are not graduating to drop bars from flat bars. Some are. You did. Some others are graduating from drop bars to flats, like I did. Plenty of people ride both type of bars and do so happily, comfortably and without "ulnar nerve injury".