Thread: Helmet Question
View Single Post
Old 07-19-12, 08:16 AM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a winter cyclist in a winter town I'll weigh in:

I think that type of skate helmet is a pretty good choice for winter, and I see a lot of winter bikers wearing them. It is designed to take multiple hits as opposed to a regular bike helmet and all debate aside about riding carefully and safely, if you ride a lot in icy conditions studs or not, you will eventually go down. It's just a given. I've broken/cracked 2 bike helmets in icy snowy crashes in my time. That's a plus with these types of lids.

As far as warmth goes, it depends on you of course, Skate helmets are certainly warmer than regular vented bike helmets as they aren't designed specifically for high output efforts. Depending on your ride, the temp, and your output can that can still be a problem even in winter. I use a regular bike helmet with varying under layers depending on temps down to about 20F, i ride hard in the winter and I like the venting. Then I use a vented Giro ski helmet below 20F which is great, but it's way too warm for anything above that.

My conclusion, if you aren't too concerned about overheating they are perfect for winter.