View Single Post
Old 07-21-12, 10:10 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5944 Post(s)
Liked 2,850 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
How long the cassettes can sit in mineral spirits depends on the mineral spirits. If the mineral spirits are the "green" type which are often called odorless mineral spirits as well. But the "green" type is water based and salts on cassettes could cause problems with that type only.
Green mineral spirits are an oxymoron. There is no such thing. There are green mineral spirits substitutes or alternatives, that are mislabeled in that the words substitute or alternative or replacement are missing, or hidden in small print, but that doesn't make them mineral spirits any more than artificial chocolate flavor is chocolate.

While solvent can mean almost anything, mineral spirits has always had, and for me, will always have a specific meaning. BTW, the bastardization of the term mineral spirits is one of the main reasons that I now usually recommend naphtha. At least when it says naphtha on the can, you don't have to read the fine print to know what's really inside.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.