View Single Post
Old 07-23-12, 09:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Reality Check...

Originally Posted by bobn
If I were you, find a bike asap. Your body may be in good shape but you will have to get your butt in shape also. If you are going to ride 100 miles your saddle and your butt better be the best of friends!
60 days to prepare + no bike + no riding experience = likely fail

Reality check, Nick. Spend the next 30 days locating a bike. You can find a rideable road bike on Craigslist for $200.

Do you homework:
- what size do I need? how can I recognize that size in a photo?
- what brands of bikes will work and what features should they have?
- what maintenance must I do to make the bike rideable?
- how do I break out my budget to be ready to ride, including ALL items related to bike riding that must come from my budget?

This is called planning...you need to do some. Seriously.

Once you have a bike (no simple task considering your lack of experience), you'll have to begin riding and discovering what your limits are. To be ready to ride 7-8 hours continuously will take more than you can imagine. You'll have to build up to a pretty consistent ability to ride 60 miles or so on a whim. That's when you're ready. It's going to take time. Add that into your plan.

Now you can set a time horizon for your century. I guarantee it's not within 60 days.

PG