Old 07-23-12, 09:24 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredomarron3
she's told me that she wants a bike and she wants to ride with me. It's just actually looking for a bike for her that's hard to do. I'm kind obsessive about things. I'll research things to death. So I've been looking at yelp for reviews on local bike shops. Getting reviews for the bikes the higher rated shops carry. Things like that. I've been trying to get her involved in the stuff I'm looking up. She seams interested when I talk to her about it.
I'd approach your journey in two key steps: 1) Shopping for and getting a good bike and 2) Determine a plan that will work for her in terms of actually riding. People getting into biking for health reasons tend to put a lot of importance on the shopping part but may not put a lot of emphasis on coming up with a plan that will actually keep themselves riding.

As far as the latter is concerned, many bike clubs have rides that are designed for beginners or those just wanting more casual exercise rather than skill development. Those rides are a good place to start because almost everyone on them will either be beginners or will be able to easily remember when they were in the same situation, so they will likely be very supportive and helpful. Over time, it will hopefully give both of you the encouragement to keep going and improving your skill level.

Good luck! We've all been beginners at one point or another!