oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Mixtes are a niche bike, that enjoy a hefty premium. I typically get 40 to 50% more for a mixte (to a comparably equipped road bike). At your budget point, I would not be looking at mixtes.
Thrifty Bill you're typically 110% on target!

However, if a woman has her heart and wallet set on a mixte bicycle, attempting to talk her out of it is like trying to tell a woman with a closet full of Jimmy Choo shoes to buy NineWest! Fuggedaboutit!

Fashion trumps practicality almost every time.

There are some truths and some folklore about French bikes, but having turned over a bunch of them during the last two years, with some exceeding 35 years of age I haven't seen any particular or recurring issues first hand to back up these myths. I realize there are more experienced artisans on this forum who hopefully add their knowledge and experience to this discussion.

No doubt replacement parts can be expensive, but that's true for all vintage bikes with European hardware. Items like seat posts, stems, French threaded cups, and Helicomatic hubs can be pricey, but failure of these items are extremely rare with normal maintenance. Fortunately, the consumables like bearings, brake shoes, cables, housing, etc., are generic to every bike and cheap.

The OP's market, Portland, is a highly active market with a lot of sources to keep both the costs of maintenance, upgrades, and used parts reasonable and available.

Last edited by oddjob2; 07-24-12 at 09:59 AM.