View Single Post
Old 07-24-12, 04:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickgm60
Thanks; yes, quite a ride. Did nothing today, other than a leisurely mile swim at dawn...

Various replies:

I recall another thread from someone who had never climbed much, yet reached the summit; maybe try a search under "Haleakala." My rides at home include lots of climbing, which probably helped with the ride and definitely with the fast descent. (I'm actually surprised that the general public is allowed to coast down on cruisers and MTBs.) Sustaining a moderately high output for several hours, regardless of terrain, is probably what counts, in preparation. Having a small climbing gear to help with fatigue doesn't hurt, either. I was a bit disappointed to find my rental had a triple crank (52/39/30, with 11-25), until I started using the small ring for most of the ascent. Had I had an even less manly gear for the final 300 yards, I would have used it.

Bike rentals are a bit pricey here, but lots of high-end gear available. I may swap for a MTB or 29er for a couple of trail rides, including one on the volcano.

Yes, the Maui west loop is planned for Saturday.
Thanks for the link. I've been told by two local riders that it is the best route on the island.

Thanks for the Haleakala hiking tip; I'll check it out. If it allows you to enter the crater itself, I'm in.
You'll be glad you have that triple. One of the climbs out of a canyon is about 18% for 500m. It's pretty dang steep. Plus, you may even get a headwind (onshore breeze). Other than that, it should be a piece of cake.