View Single Post
Old 08-08-05, 11:39 PM
Q23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first weekend fixed! (Story)

So the Cinelli got finished Sat....I rode from my house (West Berkeley) to Asby Bart. Got a $2.90 pass to the civic center and then on to Mikes Bike's where the final wrap was done to my syntace bullhorns. I've gotta say those boys at Mike's are the ****! They may not specialize in fixie, but they are one pro shop, with enough help to squeeze you in right away if your not asking for too much (beer always helps too). Let me go back to looking for a stem earlier. I found a really cool one that was perfect at Montano Velo, and I asked if they could just install my bar and tape em up too, their reply was "sure, just leave and pick it up at 4pm" it was about noon at this point so I just threw down the cash for the stem ($80!!!!) and was outa there. I had to ride damn it!
So I get taped on site and ride off to meet my bro who got me into this whole fixed mess. We're meeting at 22nd and Valencia and damn, I haven't been down there in a while, now I see all the hipster maddness in all it's glory. I feel I just hopped on the bandwagon of the decade! Well I don't really care cause I'm bout ridin you see and I'm allready hooked.
So we meet up and the plan is to go to my friend's music festival...The Magic City Music Festival. We got to 25th and Utah to the park where it's supposed to be going down and just a bunch of biker's drinking. No show, hmmm, I make a few calls and get the lowdown....the end of 24th and the bay. Now we take this wierd route through some hills and neighborhood I've never been (above Cesar Chavez) which is cool. I get scared on one hill and have to walk (no brake). We get there and there some punk rock going down. I catch the last three bands and the music is excelent! My friend who put on the show band is Society of Rockets. They rock, 10 peeps, full horn section, Theramin, the works! I highly recomend.
We're starved now and make plans to meet at my friends house at Diamond and Market. We race her in her car and beat her of course and then wait like 10 min while she parks. We passed the gathering in front of mike's warehouse, but our belly's needed some love. We ate at Firewood on 18th, cheap, quick and good! Perfect end to a great first ride (1st long one at least).
I ended up checking out some music at the Hemlock later, some good experimental stuff. Metalux, two chicks no less.
Well the next day was a car ride to My Tam. We went to the beer garden there, anybody living around here or visiting the bay has to check this place out! It's a small hike in off Panoramic. Full german alpine beer glory!
So I stayed in the city with my friend and got to bike to work Diamond and Castro all the way to 3rd and Army, then after work to a meeting at Fulton and Masonic (the old Storyville) and back down to Civic Center Bart to west Oakland and biked home.
As I said, I'm hooked, it's gonna be hard not to ride now. Fixie is so much fun. I'm lovin it! I've come from a Downhill/freeride bike thing for the last two years and was looking for something to 'train' on around town for fun. This is it.
Thank you everybody for helping me out I really like this forum. I used to hang out in the Downhill section of Ridemonkey, but I've been here a lot more lately. I'll be borrowing my roommates camera soon and give to the scoop on the bike, she's dead sexy!

Thanks for listening, Brad

BTW, If you see a cat ridin a Yellow Cinelli with black wheels, say hi, that's me!