Old 07-25-12, 07:18 PM
rkerider

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tindo
Hello again everyone and thanks once again for the wonderful advice. I've dropped one gear and took a rest day and now my legs are recovering much faster. I've also achieved my goal of 20 miles a day, but i don't ride that far every day. I generally go 12 to 15 miles a day and then head back home to shower, shave, and go to work. Now I've got another problem. I have gained 1.5 pounds since my last post and its really disappointing. I eat between 1100 and 1500 calories a day. I do include carbs, and protein in my diet but no sugar at all. Am i eating too many calories? Should i cut 500 calories out of my diet, or is the weight I'm gaining muscle mass? My legs do feel sore after a ride and i'm thinking about shifting up to another gear and riding a few less miles a day until i can build enough strength and stamina to get back up to around 12 to 15 miles a day, but i don't know if this is the right thing to do or not.
The below information is just my own opinion, but I have read and learned a lot about nutrition over the years. I have another post to compare with others about my macros requirements looking for suggestions. After my injury, I have diet set at 2500 calories and feel like I’m starving, so I’ll bump that up to 2800~3000. I got into cycling since I was having problems with knees and wanted low impact sport that I could keep up on cardio, and enjoy with the kids.

You’re thinking about cutting calories when you’re getting no more than 1500?? That’s unhealthy. 1100-1500 calories might be enough for someone who lies on the couch all day. You are cutting out sugar but sugar is a simple carb and can be found in fruits, vegies, and dairy naturally. I’d agree in cutting out empty calorie sugars like ice cream, cookies, candy.

I’ve always tried to get most protein from food (chicken, tuna, pork, meat) and good carb foods to equal out and limit saturated fats as much as possible. Your protein intake will not contribute to weight gain since any excess protein will be excreted out in waste. There is a debate about high protein and effects on kidneys, but I have not read proof on that. Try to get simple carbs (fruit, milk) and complex carbs (bread, pasta, rice) carbs which will fuel your engine. Complex carbs take longer to digest so I tend to consume early in day so body will have time to burn them. Do not cut out carbs since they are main source of fuel, but use them efficiently. You can take slow digesting proteins (cottage cheese, casin) before bed to repair muscles during sleep. In morning, get going with oatmeal, bagel, or cereal and another protein food to get body out of starvation mode. Just try to do small but frequent meals so you don’t get any blood sugar spikes. Critical times for protein and simple carbs are first thing after waking up and after exercise.

Your body will burn calories during cycling but after the ride your metabolic rate goes up too. So it will seem like you’re eating more but your body is trying to refuel. Try to get a good protein meal with simple carbs within first 1hr after exercise. You are correct that muscle mass weighs more so your weight could slightly go up. If that bothers you see a health trainer to do body fat calculation with calibers. Sorry to ramble but I know that 1500 calorie intake with moderate exercise is unhealthy. The body will stop burning fat since it thinks it’s starving and will use the protein in the muscle as fuel.

See the calculator link that Chaco submitted. You will need to log your intake for a day so you’ll know how many grams of carbs you’re taking in. The site even answered my question about fat intake so I was about 30 grams low, so thanks Chaco.