Old 07-26-12, 08:32 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
rhm:
But just out of curiosity, have you tried fixed gear?
I have to admit that I have spent only a few minutes on a FIXED gear bike. Well, I admire the concept, but I doubt it is really my thing. My introduction t fixed scared the hell out of me, because I was immediately in downtown traffic. A mechanic friend had just completed his own ride and gave it to me to test ride it even before he himself had put a leg over it.

Later I ahd time to reflect. I recalled the stress of the years I played rugby, a broken kneecap from motorcycling, crashes on race tracks, one leg that seems to be longer than the other ... and being no longer the young dude I once was.

As it is, I am carefull not to mash when I am riding SS freewheel. Slow acceleration from standing starts and so on.

The AW hub is appealing — gotta say. I've not come across a thread dedicated to discussing the weight differential between a hub drive and a bike stripped of DR's and shifters. And I've not ridden on a multi-speed hub for 46 years! So I have some questions.

I will be researching the S3X hub that you said was similar but different to the AW. I am a bit confused on the last bit of your message. So you are riding fixie now?

Last edited by Lenton58; 07-26-12 at 08:39 AM.