Old 07-27-12, 11:31 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Unworthy1 wrote:
"...I swear there's a SunTour DT lever with a very compact ratchet mech that looks like one of their stylish Superbes, but I can't find it in Velobase...must be very rare or I imagined it."

You're right, those were the trim-looking Suntour Sprint levers that had the very fine-tooth ratchet in them. I bought a pair back in 1985 or so from Nashbar for my Cannondale R300.

True Retrofriction levers use a spring-wrap clutch instead of a ratchet, so there's no friction adjustment at all.
The beauty of that is that the positioning is infinite (no click-stops at all), for better feel and greater resolution and more-precise movement.

Shimano made perhaps THE first, true Retrofriction lever in the early 1970's!
They called it Unishift. Rather long and plain-looking, but with rubber tips, and delivers race-quality actuation just like Simplex's version.
Shown in foreground:

Shimano also made the "beer tap handles" in the VERY early 1970's that I saved for 15 years(!!!) before finally installing them last weekend on my 1972 American-Eagle / Nishiki Kokusai:

Last edited by dddd; 07-27-12 at 11:35 AM.