View Single Post
Old 07-28-12, 04:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
As others have said, your bike is typical for a spot bike and offers more nimble steering, but it can come at a cost. As frames get larger, and the seat post is extended, the seat tube angle causes the saddle to be father back. This changes the weight distribution pushing the center of gravity back while the short chainstays pushed the rear axle forward.

Obviously you'll never be so far back that you're behind the axle, but if you're riding a 58cm frame with a decent amount of post showing, you may discover a few handling quirks, especially if combined with a short stem. There'll be less weight on the front wheel and this may (that's may, not will) make the bike more prone to front end shimmy on long, fast descents. On steep climbs your already back CofG will shift farther back, and many find this causes problems keeping the front wheel down when starting or accelerating. You'll need to compensate by shifting weight forward to manage this.

There's also the issue of chain angle. The shorter stay increases the chain angle for any non-aligned gear combination. IMO not enough to make a marked difference in performance, but you'll find that you need to trim the FD more often as you shift in the rear. (Di2 does this for you, but the benefit probably isn't worth the price). However if you're riding with a non-trimable index FD, it may reduce your options by one gear or so.

None of this is necessarily a problem, but things to be aware of and manage.

On the bright side, if you like to show off, short stay tall bikes are easier to do wheelies on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-28-12 at 04:47 PM.